Friday 2 June 2017

MBULO TONNA; FINGERPRINTS OF SERVICE



TONNA!

Hi! My name is Mbulo Tonna, I am a gradute of International Law and Diplomacy. I am fun, openminded; optimistic, witty maybe but at most ready to be at the forfront of change. I believe I am a force to reckon with.


WHY VOLUNTEER?
Sincerely,  more Nigerians should volunteer.  Volunteering is a platform for one to see the world from a different perspective; gives one a clearer view of the important things in life.


SERVICE AT THE IDP CAMP.
My inspiration  for my event at  the Internally  displaced  persons camp  was my three months volunteering program in a local community  in Kwara state.  The program is organised by an INGO called VSO. The agency has been in operation since 1960 but started the youth program  in 2013,  They believe that the youths of today are the best agents of change. I worked in a multi-cultural environment , having counterparts  from the uk, being exposed  to alot of culture shock in a local community.  I was fascinated.
The only challenge I faced was having anxiety. I wanted everything to be perfect that I almost  lost sight of the essence of why I wanted to be there for the children  in the first place, I was worried if the sweets and juices wouldn't be enough. My project intention is using play learning as an instrument to improve  the quality of Education  in the country through  thought -provoking means such as board
games.





ON IMPACT.
I want people to understand that you don't have to possess alot of resources to make an impact in anyone's life. The little you do still counts. The best ways I think Nigeria can achieve their global goals is by diversifying in areas that are innovative,  creative and cost effective. Focus more on the children and youths for the good of the country's  future and more so be open to change.

VOLUNTEERING IN A COMMUNITY.
My volunteering in a local community  was life changing. I had UK counterparts  who I rubbed minds with. I realised there is beauty in diversity.  The three months I volunteered  was one of he best days of my life because I was part of a cause that is not only life changing for me but for the community, I have also had an overload of amala and ewedu lol. What inspired me the most was how welcoming and appreciative the community  was.


HEARTBREAKING EXPERIENCE.
My most heart breaking experience was when we tried to mobilise women to take a free diabetes test to create awareness, 55% of the women were skeptical and did not want  to partake in the activity. What stood out to me the most was a funny comment one of the women we tried to mobilise  said.  She spoke in yoruba and said " I am not having sex anymore, my husband  is dead therefore I am fine
 in Jesus name", it made me feel  like there's a long way to go but there's still hope.


PARTING WORDS.
The advise I would love to give the country is pleading that they use the youths to achieve sustainable goals. Youths are vibrant,  energetic, exposed, enthusiastic and go -getters. No one else would be prefect for the role as an agent of change.  "IF YOU CAN THINK IT , YOU CAN DO IT ".

Thank you for taking time to read and share this post. Should you have any questions, comments or suggestions do not hesitate to use the comment box.

Please visit and follow us on our social media accounts:

Facebook: The Nineteen Initiative
Instagram: @thenineteeninitiative.
Twitter: @19_thenineteen.


THIS BLOG claims no credit for any images posted on this site unless otherwise noted. Images on this blog are copyright to its respectful owners. If there is an image appearing on this blog that belongs to you and do not wish for it appear on this site, please E-mail with a link to said image and it will be promptly removed.








No comments:

Post a Comment